Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Still not working for me.....

In our house, my children have carried on a horrible habit of falling asleep well after Hubby and I do. When they were younger they would stay in bed and watch TV, and now that they're older, they seem to come to our bedroom quite often between the time that Hubby and I go to bed and they fall asleep, which could be a difference of two hours.
Problem starts with gettin'g busy. We can't not find the time to get down, have fun, you know what I mean. If you don't have children you may not understand the inability to really enjoy yourself when you not sure if a child will come barrelling through your bedroom door.
Because one of our children is 8, and he still gets scared, we have an open door policy, unfortunately that seems to continue even if our door is closed for the few times that it is, and it's not like you can say, "Hey kids, tonite's the nite we're getting down, so keep out!" That's just freaky. To solve the problem, my husband put a lock on our door so when it is closed, for the five minutes we spare ourselves, no one will come in the room, interrupting us.
This worked well until recently, while when were in the midst of gettin' busy, I hear "p-ting, 'yes'!" This was coming from my son's room. Now it's his dad that should be saying, "Yes" or me or whoever is having the most fun at that moment, but it's not, it's coming from this little eight year old at 11:00 at nite in the next room.
Stifling my laughs, I try to get through our business, because all focus is now lost. When we're done and the bolt unlocked, I go into my son's room to find him lying on his back in his bed, shooting popcorn kernels straight up in the air, ricocheting them off the ceiling into a bowl on the floor.
Now I must admit that this takes talent. That this is what we've been waiting for, for him to entertain himself. For him to stay out of our bedroom. But I can't. I just can't get busy when there is a loud game of Popcorn Kernel Ball in the next room.
Plan B....MMMM....wonder if the third floor has a lock?



2 comments:

  1. LOL Oh I know your pain. Just recently we went through something similar (sort of), except it was our 3 year old screaming and kicking the door. It was absolutely awful. Locks are great otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, mine bangs on the door too. Talk about a mood killer.

    ReplyDelete